Something that sounds, like, totally profound.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Setting the record straight

I was catching up on my family today through blog posts. I’m not very good at keeping in touch and so I’m usually the last to know anything. So, to find out what my family is up to I check their blogs. I’m sure you haven’t noticed, but I don’t post blogs often. Life is too hectic to take time to write about it, and my life hasn’t been blog-worthy for a while now.

Today I caught up on my sister’s blog and now I feel I need to add my version of history. There is more than one of my siblings who enjoy buttermilk. I’ve enjoyed buttermilk since I was a kid. My dad used to indulge at dinnertime on occasion and I, eager to solidify my place in the family, would join in. (I’m coming close to cementing my claim of Dad’s favorite middle son; I think I’m getting close) At that time, we would add salt for flavor. I don’t know if he still does, but I now drink it straight. So, Rae Anne is not the only child to obtain the buttermilk gene.

Because of the cost, we don’t constantly stock buttermilk. We buy it primarily for buttermilk pancakes, and often don’t have it at all. Lia was about 6 when she finally decided to give that funny-looking thick milk a try. I let her know it was good. Judy tried to warn her it was nasty. Being an independent spirit, she decided to . . . um . . . decide for herself. Her reaction was a bit like my nephew Spencer’s reaction: with contorted face she claimed, “It’s yucky . . . and yummy!” Her genes kicked in (she gets it through both the Christensen and Wheat sides {recessive in Judy}) and has become a buttermilk lover. When she is home and we have buttermilk in the refrigerator, we remind her that it is liquid gold and reserved for breakfast ingredients, but we’ll let her have some when we need a favor.

Ethan also enjoys buttermilk. He didn’t have a good quote like Lia; he just always enjoyed it. So I’ve passed it on at least twice.

So, this post is a really a veiled message to Grandpa Christensen that he cannot award the favorite grandchild award yet, because there are others who share his buttermilk passion.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

I guess I should have done my research first! :) Carter will have to work on some other traits if he wants to be continue to be a contender for Grandpa's favorite! And I guess, perhaps, Dad has favorite children, but if it comes down to buttermilk, I just can't be one. Give me buttermilk in pancakes, dressing, or syrup and I love it, but on it's own... not so much! :)

Grammy Rae said...

I wish I could have passed the trait of loving buttermilk to my kids. You did a better job of it than I did, Steve. Good job. We'll have to have a round when I come down.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Kelli, it has to be added to something else to appeal to me. Glad your Dad has someone to enjoy it with though.

Myron Christensen said...

Thank yhou Steve. Sometime when we are all together we can "belly up to the bar", and enjoy a cold refreshing glass of buttermilk.

sherry said...

I am starting a favorite niece or nephew contest on my favorite drink. Anyone care to guess. You might even try mixing the two together and you can become the favorite grandchild and niece/nephew in one!